Monday, May 25, 2009

Day 2 - Chinook Pass to Kennewick, WA 138.51 miles







Today I thought was going to be an easy day since I would travel east off of the mountain on a downhill for miles. However 138 miles through the desert presented a whole set of new challenges than just pedaling up hill like yesterday. The calorie intake was noticeably different too. Yesterday's food was a turkey/ham sandwich and side salad, a handful of trail mix, 64 oz of Gatorade, 64 oz of water and 3.5 clif bars. Today was 96 oz of Gatorade, 96 oz of water, 1/3 lb of beef jerky, 3.5 clif bars, Red Robin's A1 burger, Red Robin's Sante Fe burger, 32 oz of light beer, and about 150 oz of water. And I was still dehydrated...

It was amazingly hot through the Yakima Valley. I noticed between the two days my body seems to give out after 6 hours on the bike, managing an average about 13mph. Two of my fingers are going numb, and I already have some killer tan lines. It's also allergy season in WA causing my head to feel like it's hit with a sledgehammer. The Zyrtec isn't helping much this time.

Angels are cyclists. I met one today west of Yakima. I explained where I was going (on 24 to Moxee) and he said we were going the same way. He had to make a call and said he would meet me later. After riding 20 miles through hops farms he finally caught me and we sat for a bit while I recounted my short time on the bike. He liked the mouse story, he explained their aggressiveness in the mountains. It was the first time I had looked back and I could still see Mt Ranier, probably 60 miles away. The cyclist explained his wife was going to pick him up to head to Kennewick for the evening. He looked at my gear and had a concern for the amount of water I was carrying, and the route I was taking via Othello. He explained there were military and nuclear installations (Google maps didn't show it) and security around the area were extremely anxious of visitors. He said there were signs along the way saying no one can stop on the roadside. We separated and rode for another 20 miles at which his wife drove by to pick him up. I stopped again and was down to my last water bottle. He had extra water in the car which I made good use of it! We discussed the route again which he said there would be no water for 70 or so miles, and not much for civilization. I decided to change the route and follow the Columbia river to Kennewick. Not much of a change in mileage, maybe 20 or so, it's just closer to water!

1 comment:

  1. At least the military patrols wont mistake you for a terrorist with all that spandex on! Sounds like it's already turning out to be quite an adventure. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete