Friday, June 26, 2009

Day 18 Lawrence, KS to Warsaw, MO 156.1 miles








Each day this week I get up is hard, I feel very sluggish. I took a second shower and readied for the day. 2 danishes and a bowl of Cheerios were had at the Quality Inn. I was off headed south at 8am on US-59 over more of the famous Kansas hills, it was later than I had wanted to leave the hotel. I was hoping to get a long day in to up the average miles and get closer to home. The Kansas wind sensed I was headed south so I was met with headwinds again. When I turned east on US-56 the winds came from the east. I felt like Kansas is the Hotel California line where I can check out but never leave.
A previous comment from Phillipsburg piqued my interest about Kansas, I felt Kansas was holding out on me in terms of seeing some of the back country. Last year’s Ride the Rockies in Colorado went over Cottonwood Pass which half of it was gravel road. I was told the gravel was to keep traffic down and prevent Aspen-like commercial activity in Crested Butte. So, I took off down some gravel roads south of Lawrence to see what I could find, it appeared they were a shortcut to Gardner too so it was a bigger bonus. The countryside was incredible, and a single picture couldn’t frame the entire scene. I wasn’t excited to have to do some mudbogging through parts of the road with skinny tires but I made it through ok. When I made it back on asphalt I made a note to never take the blacktop for granted.
I passed signs for the various historical trails such as the Sante Fe and the Oregon. I would have stopped for the historical markers but the urge to get to the Missouri line was stronger. There were some closed roads near the border which upped the mileage but it gave me an opportunity to see the suburbs of Kansas City. It looks the same as Charlotte where they’ve converted farmland into the million dollar houses built 8 feet from each other. A little further out there were the graded plots of land with overgrown weeds indicating the waning real estate market had hit KC’s farmlands. I rode the same farm roads with no shoulder to the dismay of the locals. I got one wave today, it came at 11am. I gave up on the waving gig. I got buzzed on US-71 in Missouri, it was the closest and most needless of the entire trip. And it was a pickup truck. I’m not in Kansas anymore.
It didn’t seem as hot today as it was yesterday, so I didn’t utilize the ice cycling AC method. Maybe tomorrow, or maybe I’m just getting used to the heat. At 4:30 it was 98, I saw another sign saying 109 but I doubt it. It was in Tightwad, Missouri, which I felt a privilege to pass through on my way through the Ozarks.
Missouri’s animals need education on crossing roads, or Missouri’s drivers have much better accuracy with their tires than other drivers. There are turtle shells and raccoons everywhere. I saw my first armadillo, but it was roadkill too.
I did not stop for lunch, I did not want to jinx the tailwind that started five miles into Missouri. That’s right, the Kansas wind blew from the east until I got into Missouri. Kansas did not want me to leave. Missouri’s wind followed me as I wound through US-71 and MO-7.
US-71 and highway 7 are fantastic strips of pavement, and with a tailwind 22 mph was the norm. I think I overexerted myself though. I arrived in Warsaw with some knee pains on both sides, dizzy, and the back-of-the-head tingling thing. I felt a little wild and unbalanced. The rashes on my knees grew larger through the day, and the tops of my hands still swell by the end of the day. I drank another 2 gallons of Gatorade and will probably walk down to the gas station in a bit for more.
I had another first. I have never been to a Sonic restaurant because I don’t go through drive-throughs, something that grew out of getting the wrong orders repeatedly from various restaurants and trying to eat everything in the car so it wouldn’t get cold. Eating in my car seems silly when a restaurant should provide tables. I’ll provide a little background: by the end of the day I look like someone took a bat to me, microwaved me, and then shook me up real good like a cat. I look a little crazy with bloodshot eyes and hair all muffed from 4 weeks of unchecked growth. So I walk into the area where the Sonic people do their work because I don’t know what the process is to order. I ask one of the employees and she points to the sign menu boards outside and says, “you push the button and say what you want”. That process seems a little silly when everyone is inside and I could just wait for my order. So I go outside to the menu board and examine it, decide what I want, and push the picture of the cheeseburger. Nothing happens. I push a little harder. Nothing. There’s a little green digital screen to the lower left with some analog buttons and a card reader so I try that, it talks about a Sonic card. I don’t know what that is and it is all the green screen wants. I look at the menu board to see if there are directions. There are none. I kind of stare at the menu board just a little while and wonder if I should just go up the street to the Subway. I kind of wanted the burger though, and I made it this far with Sonic, I thought I’d see it through. I walk back into the Sonic command station.
There was a lot of bustling from the 4 or 5 employees, it seemed busy. It’s quite an operation, they have something attached to their wrist that they swipe across something on the wall and it prints out a receipt. They have metal change machines attached around their waste and it hangs across their groin area like a chastity belt. I could not figure out how it worked. I asked again how to order, and this time it was a different employee who gave me mercy and allowed me to order on the spot. I observed more of the operations and was particularly curious about the metal change machine. I became self conscious staring at the young woman’s change machine and decided to go back outside. The food soon followed. I called Stephanie to check in and the day’s heat was starting to catch up to me. It was then I realized I was getting close to the South, one fly came to inspect my food, then two, then a dozen. Seeing that they weren’t going to get any of the food they commenced biting me instead. I left quickly. It was $9 for the meal with a milkshake, seems like a lot for fast food. It was good though.
Someone had asked if the wind/heat affects the speed of my riding. The wind does more so than the heat. In Kansas with the wind against me, I was going 10-13 mph on the flats. In Missouri I was going 22-25 mph on the flats with the wind behind me. Multiply my ride day by 10 hours and I did 156 miles instead of 123 like yesterday. I was also putzing around in Kansas today checking out the backcountry so I expect I could have cleared another 20 miles if I wasn’t so curious about what Kansas was hiding!
Today’s calories were the breakfast, 2 packs of M&Ms (my craving during the day now – they have a peanut butter strawberry flavor now but I prefer the dark chocolate which is hard to find), Sonic’s double cheeseburger, tater tots, a coke, and a pineapple shake.
I’m looking forward to sitting and doing nothing. I thought I would have more opportunity to do that, I should have planned better!
I have a craving for salty beach air…

1 comment: